Black room for kids. Thumbs up or down?

I just adore this room. What an incredible mix of contemporary and vintage design elements. Black in a childrens space is always going to polarising, but you have to admit, here it's been done well, and whether you find it contraversial or not, it works. The canary mantle that hangs so comfortably even without its fireplace creates a real spectacle of the gorgeous linograph style horse artwork that hangs above it, and the splash of colour sets the tone of visual "pops" around the space. It's complimented nicely too by the Eames rocker which works so well at bringing the contemporary and vintage elements together within the room. 
What a juxtaposition between this antique style four-poster cot and the strikingly bold monochrome feature wallpaper! Oh I do wish I had the courage to create such wonderful design contrasts in a room... 
The dresser seals the deal for me. I scour ebay every available moment to find pieces like this. So far they only seem to exist in Melbourne and the states... (insert sad face here). I'd probably lose the light fitting, but as the only piece in the entire scheme that I don't love, I won't take any points off for it. What do you think? Love it? Can't get past the black? Do you think black is too harsh for kidlets?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! Thanks for visiting.x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...